BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

12 April 2008

Barack Obama - A Visit, A Question, and A Handshake


Senator and Presidential Candidate Barack Obama came to Muncie, Indiana today. Speaking at a Town Meeting in Irving Gym, he spoke for forty or so minutes before taking six or seven questions from the audience. And I asked the second question!

I'll admit, it wasn't a particularly tough question, or even a perfectly executed question, but I had given it thought, in the off chance that I would actually get to ask a question. Since I'm a committed Obama supporter, I didn't necessarily feel compelled to ask a policy-based question. Instead, being so new to the political sphere, I wanted to get his thoughts/advice/perspective on how we can engage others and encourage them to be active in the political process (that statement just now was far less biased than the actual question in the moment).

All-around good guy Kenny Brown was standing next to me and video taped (on a miniature handheld) the moment for posterity's sake. The video starts a few seconds late, but it covers Obama's entire response, with which, I was generally pleased.

The question I asked was this:

There are many of us, as you know, who are getting active for the first time in politics and being active at the grassroots level. What advice can you give us about how to be competent and confident to spread the word that you really are the real deal and you are going to bring change?






You can also listen to the full audio of the speech here. My question comes shortly after the half-way point.

Afterwards, Kenny and I worked our way up, tried to say a few words, and both got handshakes.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

!!!

and i love that he cracked on his own ears. as a fellow 'dumbo' (ridiculed on the middle school bus, ears flipped mercilessly), i empathize.