BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

25 June 2008

Booked Solid

I've recently come into quite a few new books. I've also started reading some of them (what an Idea!). But I find myself mostly overwhelmed with how much I want to read - a good place to find yourself I suppose. Unfortunately, here's the long list of books I've only recently gotten from good ole Paperbackswap and have yet to read (this isn't even all of them):

  • Jack: A Life of C.S. Lewis by George Sayer
  • The Meaning of Sports: Why Americans Watch Baseball, Football, and Basketball by Michael Mandelbaum
  • On Becoming Baby Wise by Bucknam and Ezzo
  • Left for Dead: My Journey Home from Everest by Beck Weathers
  • Does God Have a Future?: A Debate on Divine Providence by John Sanders
  • Cold Mountain by Charles Fraizer
  • Jihad vs. McWorld: How Tribalism and Globalism Reshaping the World by Benjamin Barber
  • Lake Wobegon Summer 1956 by Garrison Keilor
  • On the Road by Jack Kerouac
  • A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers
  • Nickle and Dimed: On (not) Getting By in America by Barbara Ehrenreich
On top of that, here are a few I've picked up myself or been gifted:
  • Dreams of My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance by Barack Obama
  • Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer (started reading last night)
  • The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals by Michael Pollan (I have read half of this one)
Other books I am currently reading, picked up and read the intro to, have picked through:
  • The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian by C.S. Lewis
  • The God Who Risks: A Theology of Providence by John Sanders
  • Simply Christian by N.T. Wright
I have gotten better at finish ones I start. Here are my most recents:
  • Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer
  • Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer
  • A Short History of Progress by Ronald Wright
  • The Man Comes Around: The Spiritual Journey of Johnny Cash by Dave Urbanski
  • The Audacity of Hope by Barack Obama

Is it possible to have too much access to books and information? I'm not sure. All of these, plus I have three magazine subscriptions (Paste, Relevant, and National Geographic). Add on reading I do for and at work. Then consider all the music I buy and listen to, the podcasts subscriptions I have (eight at last count).

Really, this is a lot of media and information. Too much?

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Do you think that your unquenchable thirst for media (reading/music/podcasts) somehow takes you out of the present time and makes you miss anything?

This is not a pointed question with an answer or even a thought. Just a piggyback question to yours to make us think.