BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

28 January 2008

Perspective


I've started reading a book, A Shorty History of Progress, by Ronald Wright. And I've got a variety of thoughts/reactions/questions. For now, I'll connect it to a recent train of thought I had.

We find ourselves in a unique time in human history. And by "we" I naturally mean Americans. I could further narrow the scope of what "we" means, but I want to leave it broad on purpose. Here in the last, oh, 200 years have found ourselves in varying states of being able to decide the course of our living. Terms like "social mobility" and "self-made man" have become certain realities, to an extent. For thousands of years, "what I want to be when I grow up" was a question not pondered. Where should I live, what should I eat...these were not choices but facts, largely unalterable details of lives shaped by technological, financial, even religious limitations.

So, in light of this, I find it logical that so many of "us" struggle with what our role in this world is. "How, now, shall we live?" Call it post-modern if you like, the fact is that (again, to an extent) the growing tolerance, flexibility, and sense of entitlement places us in a situation of firsts. We have decision to make that our ancestors perhaps could not even imagine.

But, as I read this book, I come to realize that, perhaps, the themes are the same, just with different scenery and names. The book posits that as a race, humans continue on a path of ever-increasing progress. With each step of progress, another set of challenges open up. With each new step of progress, the rate of change and progress increases. And at certain points, our technological progress surpasses our moral progress, leaving us in a "progress trap." For example:

Go back thousands of years: when the hunter-gatherers improved their ability to make stone weapons, as well as improved their hunting capabilities, their populations grew because of increased, more consistent food, but their prey shrank - their technology altered their reality. They were forced to either A) keep hunting at the current rate and then starve and die or C) develop farming. They chose C. (that's incredibly simplified, too much in fact, but hopefully you get the point).

All this to say, we are over-consuming. Our technological advantages over nature (both bodily and earthly) give us "ease," but our moral understanding of life has not adapted or effected our decision making. Sure, its great to have eat tomatoes or peaches year-round. But at what cost? Taking a Caribbean cruise is undoubtedly relaxing and beautiful. But at what cost? Shop where prices are gracefully low, and where they promise to help us live "better lives," but you have to ask: At what cost?

If you've made it this far, I'm impressed. Thanks for reading my ramblings. All I'm saying is that I'm putting more thought into so much more of my life. I suspect that it is far more valuable to grow my moral stance and world view, and in result living according to those conscious choices rather than blind assumptions and cultural predispositions.


I'm not even sure what I just said. If anything.

3 comments:

jonny said...

Good thoughts, Adam. I'm encouraged by your encouragement, as well as by the fact that many of my old "theological friends" at HC are now using the same critical skills to think about social responsibility and public policy. Just like in our theology, maybe we don't agree on everything; but it seems like we're asking many of the same questions, and that's great.

Mayhaps I smell a think-tank a-brewing? All we need now is a towering endowment!

The Way EYE See It... said...

The question of "cost" does require a thought beyond the pricetag. But we all make decisions based on a select number of factors that we've considered more important than others.

Example: voting for president. What are the top 2-3 issues that you look for agreement when considering a candidate? You cannot (most likely) agree with any one candidate on all of the issues and to the same degree of importance, can you? Most likely not. Such the same with issues like the ones you've raised when it comes to price vs. cost, I think. But we should still pay (pun!) attention to it.

Something your post raised in my mind was what about the idea that some people do not have a choice as to where they will live or what they will do? Opportunity. America is the land of it but not in the way that it is quoted oftentimes.

And then there is the issue that I've wrestled with as of late: comfort vs. discomfort. As Americans, we are pretty comfortable with our choices,our decisions, our whatever. We have control. But what if that was snatched away? I don't know how I might live...

daniel said...

you may also want to look at Escaping the progress trap progresstrap.blogspot.com
nice blog!