BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

24 February 2008

The Oscars and Jon McLaughlin

Tonight the 80th Annual Academy Awards will take place. And it will come with all the glitz and glam, the Red Carpet previews and Joan Rivers' commentary on all the fashionistas. Someone will comment about ending the war, someone will try to talk over the "you're done" music, and someone will cry upon receiving an award. But through all of this, the only part I really care about is the performance of one Jon McLaughlin.

Most folks in Muncie know of Jon through the Living Room and his local roots, being from Anderson and all. I know him because we went to school together, went to the same church, and performed in the same Youth Group worship band. And a the risk of being "that guy," I'll say, as I watch tonight, "I know that guy." And probably more than once.

Jon McLaughlin performed the song, "So Close" in the Disney movie Enchanted. That song was nominated for Best Original Song (one of three from that movie to be nominated). And so, Jon gets to perform said song at the Oscars. Last time I checked, two other guys in his band (guitar/drums), also went to school with us and was, like myself, in jazz and marching band.

And while not dwelling on it too much, or really playing up my role as "that guy," it's just very surreal for someone you once could have daily conversations with to achieve such notable success. It started with performing at Lolapalooza, then signing with Island Records. He toured shortly with Sister Hazel, and also had a stint with Kelly Clarkson. His song, "Only Human" was used on an episode of Scrubs. And he's had songs in no less than hree movies. And now he will be performing at The Oscars.

He is very talented, always has been. And I have no doubt that he will have continued success. His first album, while moderately successful, did not truly showcase his full potential. So be it with a first album on a major record label (Island Records).

So, all this to say, good luck to Jon and his performance. And maybe even it wins the Oscar (he did not write the song, however - so I don't think he gets one). And to really be "that guy," I'm wearing my Jon McLaughlin shirt today.

2 comments:

Jon said...

He did well! I was geared up for that too. So strange to have seen the guy at local establishments like it was no thing a couple years ago, and now he's playing for the likes of Hanks and Nicholson. The Island Records deal (publicity, marketing) sure helped. Don't know if you caught him being interviewed on the "Today" show by Meredith Vieira, but yeah, he's doing All Right.

Lij said...

Yeah, that was weird. I had no idea he'd done a song for that soundtrack, so imagine my surprise when they introduced him. I don't really know Jon, I just know him from other people talking about him and from seeing him perform at a concert series my dad put on. Still, it was surprising to see a familiar face up there that I know from something other than the movies.

And don't worry -- you're not being "that guy."